Labels

09/08/2012

Nexus 7 Destroys Benchmarks, Gets Overclocked to 1.64 GHz with Trinity Seven Kernel

Nexus 7 Destroys Benchmarks, Gets Overclocked to 1.64 GHz with Trinity Seven Kernel:
So, I’m sitting at my computer just about to hang it up for the night when my friend messages me on Facebook “I’m rooting my Nexus 7 right now.” “Of course you are.”  I replied. He’s really into that sort of thing, and went on to say how he could overclock his Nexus 7 to 1.64 GHz, now I’m intrigued. Well thanks to the guys over at XDA-Developers you too could have a device that destroys everything on the market, at least when it comes to benchmarks.

Check out this pic of the Nexus 7 before overclocking.
The ability to overclock comes down to the kernel and there are many kernel devs out there, like Franco and Faux. This time the credit goes to Trinity AKA Morfic with his new “Trinity Seven” kernel. I personally have used the Trinity kernel in my hacking escapades and always experience a very stable system because of it. In the image below you can see over 7,000 points is the score the Nexus 7 attained, this is blistering just in case you’re wondering.
In order to make this happen you will need to be rooted, if you aren’t sure how to do that, then maybe you shouldn’t attempt it till you have a firm grasp. Last month I wrote up an article about a new tool that aims to be able to root all devices. You can check that out, but you can also checkout our guide to unlocking and rooting the Nexus 7. Don’t ever be afraid to ask for help! If you are a seasoned vet, then you need only root your Nexus 7 and install the trinity kernel. Flashing a custom ROM is not required, my friend is just going to run stock Jelly Bean.
Moving on, once you have the Trinity kernel installed, you may be concerned about battery life, a valid concern indeed when you’re pushing this kind of power. If you do a simple search in the Play store for “trinity kernel toolbox” then you can download an app that will help you manage all sorts of advanced functions. Including, but not limited to: Adjustment of the CPU Min/Max frequencies, selecting a CPU governor, selecting I/O scheduling, and much more. All of this is designed to help you squeeze ultimate battery life out of your powerful tablet. The App is just under $4 but well worth it.
This is what happens when you take a Vanilla AOSP version of Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean, root it, install the Trinity Seven kernel and of course, overclock it. I seriously can’t wait to get my friends tablet in my hands to feel the pure power the refreshed Nexus 7 has to offer.
As a disclaimer, this build is in Alpha and is EXPERIMENTAL at the moment, from what I am reading in the comments, there could be some problems with Bluetooth. So read through and find out what build works best and flash that. If you’re uncomfortable with this, you can never do too much research before attempting and ask lots of questions! With that said, its lots of fun to learn how to root and begin flashing custom configurations! Be safe and have fun! I’m curious, what of the 5th companion core?
So, are you rushing to root your Nexus 7? Let us know in the comments, and hit the source link to get started!
Thanks, Quinn!
Source: XDA






No comments:

Post a Comment